missing backup directory

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Sun Nov 7 23:40:25 CET 2021

On Sun, 07 Nov 2021, Haines Brown wrote:
> I just installed TeXLive in a new box. It opearting system is devuan

*What* did you install? TeX Live from Debian/Ubuntu or from Upstream?
Where did you install it?
	I guess from the files to /usr/local/texlive/2021
	BUt you said as "user", are you sure?
What does
	which latex
say?

>   mktexfmt:   /home/haines/.texlive2021/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf

This file should NOT be here. Did you create it?
What is contained in it?

>         tlmrg: backupdir as set in tlpdb
>           /usr/local/lexlive/201/tlpkg backups
>         is not a directory
>
> Indeed the directory is missing. I hesitage simply to create it in the
> fear that doing so hides a deeper problem.

Irrelevant problem, you can create the dir.

> I go to the tlmgr gui and do actions_>Rebuild all formates and get this error:
>
>         fmtutil [WARNING]: You seem to have no formats defined in your fmtutil.cnf files!
>         fmtutil [INFO]: total formats: 0
>         fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 0

That is a consequence of the above fmtutil.cnf

> I did $ sudo fmtutil-sys --all . This produced a lot of return and ended with:

That calls the fmtutil from Debian/Ubuntu/Devuan, not the one from
/usr/local/texlive/2021.

Suggested steps depend on whether you *as user* have write access to
/usr/local/texlive/2021 or not.

If YES:
* remove /home/haines/.texlive2021/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
* run
	fmtutils-sys --all

If NO:
* remove /home/haines/.texlive2021/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
* change to root user
* add /usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/x86_64-linux/ to the PATH of the
  running shell (export PATH=/usr/local........:$PATH)
* run
	fmtutil-sys --all

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev