Error running makeinfo

Hefferon, Jim S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Sat May 22 12:58:25 CEST 2021

I am getting an error from makeinfo and would be very grateful for any suggestions on how to make it go away.

$ makeinfo
MiscXS.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xdb00080, needed 0xde00080)

My setup is that I'm running Ubuntu 18 and have the TeX Live Debian packages.  I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask; I've used makeinfo in the past on this machine and so I don't think it is a packaging error or a configuration error.  Instead it seems to me to be some kind of perl-got-updated error (I haven't used the `makeinfo' command for a year or more, so the update could have been some time ago).

I tried recompiling texi2html from source but there was no change in the error.   Online forums suggested deleting various subdirectories that I don't have, and changing environment variables that I don't have set.  Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Jim