Paper size

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sun May 16 22:47:54 CEST 2021

That is not a change in texlive 2021, that has been the latex behaviour
since the start.
The default latex paper size is US letter, use the [a4paper]  documentclass
option to specify A4.

For various unfortunate historical reasons, latex can not specify the media
size to use until it
knows which backend is in use, which typically means loading graphicx, or
geometry or hyperref.
Without using a backend package the default page size and the a4paper
option affect the size
of the typeset block but not the size of the media.

David