kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by kpsewhich)

Harald Koenig harald at mailbox.org
Sat May 15 10:03:22 CEST 2021

Hi,

a german TeX user with Scientific Linux 6.10 got this error msg

  kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by kpsewhich)

after 3+ hours of downloads when trying to build format files etc.

I notice that Scientific Linux is "end of life":

      https://scientificlinux.org/downloads/sl-versions/sl6/
      As of November 2020 SL 6 is End Of Life, you should not perform new installations of this operating system.

and I already suggested to consider an update.
but I have two questions:

- which linux system do you use to build TL 2021 binaries ?

- why does TL installation start and work up to format generation at all?
are all binaries needed for installation (perl, curl, ... ?) used from the distro ?

I've checked the TL binaries and notice that some (few) of them do not have GLIBC_2.14 requirements,
are those build on a different version, or is it just that they don't use any GLIBC calls which got changed in 2.14 ?

autosp
bbox
bg5conv
biber
cef5conv
cefconv
cefsconv
ctwill-refsort
ctwill-twinx
disdvi
dvi2tty
dvidvi
extconv
kpseaccess
kpsereadlink
kpsestat
mag
msxlint
pdfclose
pdfopen
pk2bm
sjisconv
tex2aspc
tex2xindy

thanks,

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\