[EXT] Re: font inclusion

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon May 10 22:07:46 CEST 2021

On 2021-05-10 at 19:20:42 +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > Karl Berry wrote:
 >

 >             I think there are legal reasons for proper subsetting,
 >             as complete inclusion risks infringing font copyright.
 >
 > That is true, for proprietary fonts. FWIW, all fonts in TeX Live are
 > free/libre and do not impose such requirements. --best, karl.
 >
 > But TeX Live users are free to use whatever fonts they choose.  I,
 > for example, routinely use proprietary fonts, and the current
 > behaviour of sub-setting fonts when embedding is an important
 > safeguard to ensure that users such as myself do not inadvertently
 > violate embedding constraints.  Therefore the current behaviour is
 > optimal in that respect, and although there is currently no
 > suggestion that the default behaviour be changed, Dr Kramer's
 > reminder of the "legal reasons for proper subsetting" offer a
 > sensible note of caution.

Hello Phil,
the "current behaviour" originates from dvips, where sub-setting was
supported and enabled by default from the beginning.  TeX Live's
default setting will not be changed in the future, simply because a
change doesn't make sense.  You can rely on it.

As far as proprietary fonts are concerned, there is no need to warn
users on this mailing list.  Whenever you intend to buy a proprietary
font you have to examine its license *carefully* first, preferably
before buying it.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25