bug report while installing

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Sun May 9 21:16:45 CEST 2021

Hi Siep, hi Uwe, hi Berkan, hi all,

> TeX Live installer invocation: C:/Users/berka/AppData/Local/Temp/nsm9CC0.tmp/install-tl-20210508/install-tl -from_ext_gui
> Installing TeX Live 2021 from: https://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet (not verified)

That is the problem, and this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!!!

When doing this on Linux, I see
$ ./install-tl -no-cls
Installing TeX Live 2021 from: https://ftp.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)

So I install from an actual mirror, while on Windows it seems to always
hit the main mirror.

And that one might have restrictions on access and block, thus the
failures.

We need to investigate why the redirection code doesn't work on
Windows!!!

Questions that can be answer by passing -v or -v -v to the installer:
* is it using wget or curl for computing the redirection?
* which curl is used?
* does curl work as expected? What does
	curl -Ls -o nul -w '%{url_effective}' https://mirror.ctan.org/
  give?
  (IDEA: the quotes might be a problem on Windows??? If the above fails,
  what does
	curl -Ls -o nul -w %{url_effective} https://mirror.ctan.org/
  give?)

If someone could test these items it would be helpful!

Thanks

Norbert

Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev