tlpkg UTF-8 Umlauts Problem

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Mar 24 15:54:45 CET 2021

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021, Masamichi Hosoda wrote:
> If you prefer to support non-UTF-8 consoles, here is a patch for that.
> However, the log file is outputed in UTF-8.

We cannot expect that the consoles are UTF-8 ... they will be in
whatever the respective locale defines.

If the locale given encoding and actual terminal encoding does not
agree, this is failure by the user or operating system, nothing we
should cater to.

Anyway, I tried with and without your patch, and I get in both cases the
correct result in my konsole **IF** the konsole encoding is correctly
adjusted to the encoding defined by the locale setting.

Please everyone: if you can reproduce the error under the condition that
the encoding defined by the locale and the one your console program
expects is the same, then please let us know.

Any other combination should be ignored IMHO.

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research Labs  +  IFMGA Guide + TU Wien + TeX Live + Debian Dev