[EXT] Re: How to test pdflatex-dev

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:49:01 CET 2021

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 at 16:44, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Phelype Oleinik wrote:
>

> You just have to run on the command line:
>
>     pdflatex-dev
>

> As readers of this list will know, I don't "speak" LaTeX, but was
> intrigued by the above and so sought to try it out.  I typed :
>
> pdflatex-dev
>

> as instructed (this to TeX Live 2021 pre-test), then entered (in response
> to the "**" prompt) :
>
> \end {document}
>

> at which point I was surprised.  PdfLaTeX-Dev reported :
>
> entering extended mode
> LaTeX2e <2021-05-01> pre-release-2 (develop 2021-3-6 branch)
> L3 programming layer <2021-02-18>
> ! I can't find file `texput.aux'.
> \enddocument ...keatletter \@@input \jobname .aux
>                                                   \fi \UseOneTimeHook
> {enddo...
> <*> \end {document}
>
> (Press Enter to retry, or Control-Z to exit)
>

> Since it must have "known" that it had not created `texput.aux', and with
> no reason to think that such a file might exist from a previous run, why
> did PdfLaTeX-Dev try to \@@input it ?
> --
> *Philip Taylor*

That's true but not really related to pdflatex-dev as you get the same with
pdflatex

$ pdflatex '\end{document}'
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.22 (TeX Live 2021) (preloaded
format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2020-10-01> patch level 4
L3 programming layer <2021-02-18>
! I can't find file `texput.aux'.

If you type random syntax errors into pretty much any tex format the exact
error you get will be a bit variable.

David