[pretest] Metapost graphics file not found

Uwe Siart usenet at siart.de
Thu Mar 4 08:08:29 CET 2021

Phelype Oleinik <phe.h.o1 at gmail.com> writes:

>> Also I think that \DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{mps}{*}{} was not needed in TL
>> 2020. But I can't test at the moment.
>
> No, for a file with an unknown extension it was always needed, because
> contrary to .tex files that can just be read, some graphics files can't,
> and graphics.sty refuses to read a file with an unknown extension.

Hi Phelype,

Thanks for explanation. In that case I have the next weird thing:

I have (here on my computer) a minimal LaTeX file where
\includegraphics{filename.1} works without \DeclareGraphicsRule. But it
seems to depend on the encoding of the .tex file. Therefore, I think it
makes no sense to post it here because the effect could go lost after
copy & paste. But I could send you via personal mail if you agree.

The weird behaviour that I see with this example file:

- The file is latin-1 encoded. It works with latex but not with
  pdflatex.

- When I tell Emacs/AUCTeX to recode the file to utf-8-dos (by setting a
  the local variable "coding" to utf-8-dos and typing C-c C-n) it does
  not work anymore.

- After recoding to UTF-8 I can't get it back to work again. Even after
  recoding to latin-1-dos (change "coding" variable to iso-latin-1-dos
  an do C-c C-n) the error (unknown graphics extension) remains.

--
Uwe