Segmentation Fault while loading format file

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 15:42:39 CEST 2021

Hi Martin

The 32 and 64 bit users of TeX Live 2020 can share format files. (A new
feature was added to the \dump capabilities of pdftex in TeX Live 2021.
There was a bug, and hence the segfault you and others reported.)

Here are some work-arounds and solutions, with the easiest for you first.

1. Revert your installation to TeX Live 2020 for all users.

2. Have two installations of TeX Live, once for 32-bit and the other for
64-bit.

3. Wait for the TeX Live team to rebuild all the binaries.

4. Rebuild yourself just the binaries you need.

Finally, a note of caution. A 32/64 bit format file problem was noticed and
fixed. Later, a second such problem was fixed. That's where we are now.
Perhaps there's a third. Here's a link to a post I made to the relevant
thread.
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2021-June/047129.html

I hope this helps you and your users in Freiburg (a city I enjoyed walking
to some years ago).

--
Jonathan