Segmentation Fault while loading format file

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Mon Jun 28 16:37:33 CEST 2021

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 11:42:34AM +0200, Martin Preen wrote:
> Hi all,
> we currently have a problem with TL on i386-linux platforms.
> The error appeared after one of the updates last week.
>
> #> latex qwerty.tex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.22 (TeX Live 2021) (preloaded format=latex)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
> Segmentation fault

This is because format file differences have crept in between 32-bit
and 64-bit platforms. This has been fixed in the sources, but not in
the binaries, because of the small number of people affected, and
because there is a workaround:

users can create a private pdflatex format file with a command

fmtutil-user --byfmt pdflatex

A drawback is that per-user format files are not automatically
updated when needed.

--
Siep Kroonenberg