TeX Live Manager GUI shows Unicode codes instead of characters

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sun Jun 27 22:46:26 CEST 2021

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 09:17:09PM -0700, Andrey Sotnikov wrote:
> When I start tlmgr GUI (Linux platform), all text GUI elements have a form
> of \x{NNN} instead of real text (picture attached).
> [image: image.png]
>
> I understand that this is Unicode code points instead of the real
> characters. I tried
>
> tlmgr gui -font "DejaVuSans 14"

Perl/Tk takes font settings in the X resource database into account,
e.g. for your personal settings a line in ~/.Xresources

*Font: <some font specification>

Maybe something funny there?

As to language: it should be configurable from the GUI, but if that
is illegible then you can edit
~/.texlive2021/texmf-config/tlmgr/config yourself, e.g.:

gui-lang = en

--
Siep Kroonenberg