circular dependency when building LaTeX?

Phelype Oleinik phe.h.o1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 15:33:56 CEST 2021

On 6/25/21 01:50, Thiago Jung Bauermann wrote:>
> Ok.  I’m just a bit puzzled because I’m using checkouts from the svn tag
> “texlive-2021.1” to build everything. If latex-base from that tag needs
> xparse-generic.tex, shouldn’t it be generated by l3packages/xparse/
> xparse.ins from that same tag?

It doesn't need to be _generated_, it just needs to exist.
|xparse-generic.tex| and the |xparse-<date>.sty| you mention are no
longer generated from |xparse.ins| because the development version moved
to |ltcmd.dtx| in latex-base.

Also, the |texlive-2020.1| tag is frozen and doesn't get any more
updates.  I'd recommend you use the |trunk| version (updated daily),
which has the newest LaTeX, that I mentioned.

>> There is, however, a frozen
>>
>> |xparse-generic.tex| in that package that should do what you need, no?
>
> True. Is there a way for me to generate it, or do I have to copy it
> verbatim?

No, nowadays that file is frozen and won't change, so you'll have to
just copy it verbatim.

> I also see a couple of xparse-<date>.sty. Their headers say that they were
> “generated from xparse.dtx […] then adapted”. Does that mean that they were
> modified by hand after being generated by docstrip?

Exactly (I am the one to blame :-).  |xparse-generic.tex| was generated
then modified by hand, but I forgot to add a similar note on its header.

Phelype