circular dependency when building LaTeX?

Phelype Oleinik phe.h.o1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 23:25:29 CEST 2021

Hi Thiago,

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 6:14 PM Thiago Jung Bauermann
<bauermann at kolabnow.com> wrote:

> This worked! I used `pdftex -ini <name>.ins` and the package texlive-latex-
> l3kernel is generated correctly. Thanks!

Great!

> Now I’m seeing some errors during the build of texlive-latex-base itself,
> about “! Undefined control sequence \NewDocumentCommand” when remaking the

That should mean two things:

> pdflatex format. I’m probably missing some file(s) with control sequence
> definitions. I’ll check out l3build and the CI logs to see if I can find some
> hints.

That probably means two things:
  1) you don't have the most recent LaTeX.  The 2020-06-01 release has
     |\NewDocumentCommand| built-in, so it should not be undefined.
  2) you don't have the |l3packages| CTAN package (which contains
     |xparse.sty|, which defined |\NewDocumentCommand| until recently).

Either updating or installing |l3packages| should fix the problem.

Phelype