Idea: Git as basis for future CTAN and TeX Live. (Discuss here or at tomorrow's TeX Hour)

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Jun 23 21:33:26 CEST 2021

Hi Jonathan,

> Now for the question. Put all these files in a git pack file. How big will
> that pack file be? Perhaps powers of 2 is the way to ask this. In other

I guess one can try that out by git cloning my git-svn repo with
	git clone --depth 1 --branch trunk ...
that should only fetch one release of all the files.

> If we're at most 5GB then we can use both GitHub and GitLab to host these
> files. And the TeX Collection / TeX Live could store this material as git

And we would need to push --force so that the history does not grow.

> Still here? Well done. I'll be discussing this, read-only file systems,
> immutable OSes and related methods at tomorrow evening's TeX Hour.

> When and where. Thursday 17 June, 6.30 to 7.30pm UK time. The UK time now

I guess it was 23 June. Anyway, it is over I guess. Too late for me to
contribute.

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev