Rewrite from the ground up of the Ghostscript PDF interpreter

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Jun 2 12:36:27 CEST 2021

> Le 25 mai 2021 à 18:23, Bob Tennent <rdtennent at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> | a couple of weeks ago the Ghostscript developers
>> | have announced they are rewriting Ghostscript's PDF
>> | interpreter, written mostly in PostScript, entirely in
>> | C.
>
> Artifex already distribute mupdf, a very fast PDF viewer
> written in C. How will this be different?

One of the Ghostscript developers just posted an answer at

https://ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2021-June/010472.html

Namely:

"
This is not MuPDF, and is not related to MuPDF. MuPDF is a PDF
interpreter built on its own dedicated "fitz" graphics library "back end".

The new PDF interpreter that we are working on is built on the same
Ghostscript graphics library "back end" that Ghostscript itself,
GhostPCL and GhostXPS are built upon.

In addition, you cannot use MuPDF from Ghostscript, where the new
Ghostscript PDF interpreter will, obviously, be integrated into
Ghostscript, replacing the existing Postscript-based PDF interpreter.
"

Bruno Voisin