Update problem

Michael D Godfrey michaeldgodfrey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 22:16:32 CEST 2021

Hello!

I hope that it is alright to report this problem to this list. I could
not find
who might be interested.

The problem is as follows:

1. I did installs and updates with the symbolic links option set. This
always
     worked just fine.

2. But, I just recently updated to 2021 but forgot to set the symbolic link
     option. The update seemed to work without any error report and TeX
seemed
     to work as usual.

3. But then, I tried to run tlmgr --all update. This failed with a
mysterious error
     message. Obviously, an install with links not set after an install
with links
     set ends up appearing to run the new version, but using the
programs found
     through the links set by the old install.

It would be very good if this procedure were flagged as an error.

Could I add that I have been a TeX user since the very first distributed
version.

Michael Godfrey