Idea: An issue tracker for tex-live

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:21:45 CEST 2021

Norbert wrote:

> What do we gain with github issues that we cannot do via the mailing list?

With the mailing list we can get orphan messages. Here's an example, from
Herb Schulz.
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2021-July/047271.html

By an orphan message I mean a message related to an issue, which is not in
the same email thread as the issue.

That said, I'm not sure that Herb's message is an orphan. I can't find the
message he's quoting on the tex-live or the mac-tex lists.

Perhaps Herb is quoting in some off-list email correspondence. Either way,
I believe that with github issues we get better linkage between issues and
messages (or comments as they are called in an issue).
--
Jonathan