Installing TeXlive 2021 scheme-minimal: I can't find file `dehypht-x-2021-02-26.tex'

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Jul 2 20:57:11 CEST 2021

> On Jul 2, 2021, at 10:32 , Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
>    @Karl, what do you think?
>
> Remove double slashes from anywhere but the very end of the path?
> Strikes me as an awfully invasive change to be making after 30 years,
> although I guess in practice that is all we have ever used.  At least
> that's all I see in texmf.cnf.

I find it hard to believe that multiple slashes in a pathname cause a problem.  The Unix and Unix-derived systems I know of silently ignore them (as part of kernel processing, if nowhere else).

It is possible that individual programs would derive some secret direction from their appearance, but that seems like a big no-no.  It’s been part of Unix folklore since the ’70’s :-}

Cheers,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income