tex in interactive mode gets seemingly frozen when input exceeds 1024 characters as the terminal warning is issued one character too late

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Fri Jul 2 11:25:40 CEST 2021

Hi Paulo,

> I am not sure, but I believe the input length is capped by the tty internal size limit, not exactly by tex in particular. IIRC 1024 is max in OSX, and perhaps (1024 x 4) in Unix. Just my 2 cents. :)

I see... indeed that looks quite possible. I could not find in osx Terminal app some preference but it makes sense if it is a hard-coded feature.

@David

> what terminal are you using? I just entered 2500 characters on a line
> in cygwin xterm with no issues (the resulting line was a little
> overfull:-)

This seems indeed to confirm Paulo’s comment.

I am using the mac osx Terminal app from high sierra (yes I upgraded finally to the flat smartphone interface and invading SIRI, took me hours to try to silence it).

Thanks both, I feel you found the actual cause of this,

Best,

Jean-François