[EXT] Re: [UNIV: TeX Live 2020] %tlroot%\bin\win32\tlmgr.bat

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jan 28 16:30:13 CET 2021

Philip Taylor wrote:

Ah.  I had thought that it would launch a GUI which would allow me to select from a set of pre-defined actions ...  The real problem is that the diagnostic  does not appear if one launches TLMGR from a Windows Explorer file listing, as I did.  It was only when I edited the first line to read "Echo on" that I was able to read and report the diagnostic.

The following small modifications to the prelude and postlude of "tlmgr.bat" would allow it to issue an appropriate diagnostic which would remain visible until dismissed by the user even if the file were launched from Windows Explorer —

@echo off

[...]

rem Get TL installation root (w/o trailing backslash)
set tlroot=%~dp0:
set tlroot=%tlroot:\bin\win32\:=%

rem check for gui or null argument
if x == x%1 goto guibailout

[...]

:err_rename_updater
echo %~nx0: failed to rename "%tlupdater%">&2
exit /b 1

:guibailout
echo Please use tlshell as a GUI for tlmgr && PAUSE
exit /b 1

This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.