tex live 2021 installation question

Bob bobabc at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 17 22:15:01 CEST 2021

Hi All,

I am attempting to do a new installation of tex live 2021 on a new
installation of fedora 34.  When running the installer, I received the msg:

Enter command: I
Installing to: /usr/local/texlive/2021
install-tl: mkdir(/usr/local/texlive/) failed for tree
/usr/local/texlive/2021: Permission denied at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm
line 999, <STDIN> line 4.

What is the best solution?  Should I just mkdir /usr/local/texlive and
give write permission to all?

I found something from archlinux at:

that recommends creating a new user:

==============

I also recommend *not* installing as root. This is also in line with
upstream's recommendation. What I did was create a new user and group
(texlive:texlive). As root, I also created the directory
/usr/local/texlive and made sure it was owned by the texlive user. Then
I logged in as that user to install. This works well. Neither the
installer nor later use of the utilities can touch your home directory
or system files. There is no downside to this - it is no less convenient
than having the installation owned by root. So you gain a security
benefit for no cost. (Or minimal cost: you have to create a single user
and group, make one new directory and chmod that directory appropriately.)

# adjust options as desired
useradd -d /usr/local/texlive -m -g texlive -r -s /bin/sh texlive

Set a password for the new account, and check ownership and permissions
on the new directory:

drwxr-xr-x   7 texlive texlive 4.0K Meh  26 02:14 .

Then log in as texlive and install.