Obstacles to accessible TeX: Thur 12 Aug 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 19:06:53 CEST 2021

Hi

Aside: The TeX Hour on 26 August is of special interest to TeX Live.
Knuth's page description language DVI is a portable format, provided the
recipient has fonts that match the fontnames in the DVI file (and there are
no specials). Adobe's PDF portability follows from embedded fonts. The TeX
Hour on 26 August will focus on achieving similar portability for the
typesetting of TeX source files.

Links to 8 accessibility talks at recent TeX conference. Topics for TeX
Hour, to the end of August.

At the TeX Conference last weekend there were 8 talks that focussed on
accessibility. I think that's a record. The subject of the TeX Hour this
Thursday is "Obstacles to Accessible TeX". This includes technical, social
and human problems. Sharing experience and a fair partnership between blind
and sighted are crucial for avoiding and removing obstacles.

One of the talks is a 30 minute conversation between Jonathan Godfrey and
Jana Schroeder,  both of whom are blind. I had the honor of facilitating
this conversation.  Even if you don't go to the TeX Hour, I think it's well
worth listening to. It's available at
https://youtu.be/KNLJwjKg7EM

Here are the TeX Hour details: