Concerning problems with updates from mirror.ctan

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Apr 21 09:01:45 CEST 2021

Hi Markus,

I just tested, and there are a few explanations:
* some mirrors are outdated/not in sync - this might have to do
  with the https switch
* some mirrors do NOT provide https access, which is then a problem.
  The multiplexer for
	https://mirror.ctan.org
  should only return mirrors that also support https protocol.
  E.g., mirror.physik-pool.tu-berlin.de does not provide https access.
* incorrect repository specification (missing "systems/texlive/tlnet")

Here with the mirrors around me it worked all the times, but all the
mirrors here **do** support https.

> Unfortunately this does not help. After today's infra update with the generic
> address I get:
>
> | /usr/local/texlive/current/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr: signature verification
> error of
> | /usr/local/texlive/2021/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb.main.
> 2fdb20874d4fe1a3267a99dbbf353926 from
> | https://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb:
> cryptographic signature verification of
> |   /tmp/u23nQVXiXG/m4lwylA0kJ
> | against
> |   https://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/
> texlive.tlpdb.sha512.asc
> | failed. Output was:

That is **strange** and would point to a *not* updated repository.

tlcritical update alone **will not help**.

For now (until I fix mutliple redirections) you need to do
	tlmgr option repository ctan
once AFTER updating tlmgr today.
That should set it to https, please check the output of
	tlmgr option repository

> | /usr/local/texlive/current/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr: cannot download: download
> did not succeed: Germany       https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/tlpkg/
> texlive.tlpdb.sha512

Can you please the out put of
	tlmgr update --list
? It seems you used
	--repository https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/
which **of course** does not work, you need to do
	--repository https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet
I just tried with
	tlmgr -v --repository https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet update --list
and that worked without a problem, no errors.

BTW, always when seeing these kind of errors, please run with
	-v
added so that we can get a bit more debugging information.

Thanks

Norbert

Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev