Problem installing TeXLive 2021 on Macs

Artemio González López artemiogl at telefonica.net
Mon Apr 5 20:57:27 CEST 2021

I am trying to install TeXLive 2021 on several Macs I own using the vanilla Unix install package install-tl.unx.tar.gz (I prefer it to the more standard MacTeX distribution because I don’t need most of the apps that come with it, among other reasons). Although I’ve been doing this for a number of years without a hitch, this time over I haven’t been able to do so. More precisely, after decompressing the tar.gz archive, cd’ing to the install directory, executing the standard command (sudo perl ./install-tl —no-gui) and entering my password, nothing happens for several minutes and then I get an error message like the following:

cannot contact mirror.ctan.org <http://mirror.ctan.org/>, returning a backbone server!

./install-tl: TLPDB::from_file could not initialize from: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb>
./install-tl: Maybe the repository setting should be changed.
./install-tl: More info: https://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html <https://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html>

Needless to say I’ve tried with several other repositories with similar results. For instance

sudo perl ./install-tl --repository https://ctan.javinator9889.com/systems/texlive/tlnet <https://ctan.javinator9889.com/systems/texlive/tlnet> --no-gui

./install-tl: TLPDB::from_file could not initialize from: https://ctan.javinator9889.com/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb <https://ctan.javinator9889.com/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb>
./install-tl: Maybe the repository setting should be changed.
./install-tl: More info: https://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html <https://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html>

Could anybody please tell me what I’m doing wrong? (It’ probably something more or less obvious, but I am stymied). Right now I am running TeXLive 2020

Thanks in advance,

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
artemiogl at telefonica.net