[EXT] Re: tl21 released

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Thu Apr 1 20:58:15 CEST 2021

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 07:35:50PM +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:
> Karl Berry wrote:
>
> Hi everyone - I've moved the tl20 and mactex20 images and other files to
>
> How does one tell, when looking at (for example)
> http://dante.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/, whether
> this is the 2020 or 2021 version ?  The dates give a clue, but can
> hardly be regarded as definitive, and the "readme.md" file provides
> not a clue.

I wouldn't say my method is the best approach, but on my side what I
do each year is first wait for a couple of days before trying to point
tlmgr to the ctan mirror, like so:

      tlmgr option repository ctan

After this, I try "tlmgr update --all".  If 2021 has arrived, then the
updating process starts.  If not, I get an error message and I wait
for another couple of days.

Best,

Robert