pdflatex on TL2020 complains about not finding l3backend-pdfmode.def

AC achirvasub at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:02:41 CEST 2020

Thank you! Your first suggestion resolved it (more below).

On September 28, 2020 4:19:52 PM EDT, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:
>the backed file is now l3backend-pdfmode.def (or l3backend-luatex.def)
>the
>pdfmode.def file is no longer used.

Just curiosity: was there a typo above? You write that the backend file is l3backend-pdfmode.def, but that's exactly the file I was missing..

>If it is being referenced then either your formats didn't get remade
>fmtutil-sys --all
>should remake them

This did indeed work: after removing 'l3backend-pdfmode.def' (which I'd copied to <texlive>/2020/texmf-dist/tex/latex/backends/ manually from 2019) and running

fmtutil-sys --all

pdflatex is back in action.