Why is `openin_any = p` restricting access to packages in TEXMFDIST?

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 11:23:41 CEST 2020

I temporary workaround until the new binaries are available would be to use

\expandafter\let\csname file_input:n\endcsname\input
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xparse}
\begin{document}
\end{document}

this reverts to the non-expandable \openin test to check a file exists so
could fail in some theoretical contexts but it works in this real context,
so a good workaround for now, I think.