kpathsea SELFAUTOLOC is wrong

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Sep 19 22:06:43 CEST 2020

On 2020-09-19 at 07:48:28 +0800, Vladimir Lomov wrote:

 > ** Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> [2020-09-19 01:32:31 +0200]:
 >
 > > On 2020-09-18 at 14:31:42 -0700, Ben Smith wrote:
 >
 > >> Hi, I installed texlive 2020 last week on my thinkpad x1 yoga (gen 4)
 > >> last week, running arch linux. I used the download script from
 > >> tug.org. It successfully installed, but is not working. kpathsea seems
 > >> to be looking for files in the wrong place, and can't find texmf.cnf
 > >> or latex.fmt or anything. After some digging around I found that
 > >> SELFAUTOLOC is set to /usr/bin, but my whole texlive is installed in
 > >> /usr/local/texlive. (I get this by running kpsewhich
 > >> -var-value=SELFAUTOLOC)
 >
 > > SELFAUTOLOC is never set to /usr/bin.
 >
 > It is, this is "automatic" variable:
 > $ /usr/bin/kpsewhich -var-value=SELFAUTOLOC
 > /usr/bin

It's what I meant.  "automatic variable" describes it better.
SELFAUTOLOC is neither set in the environment nor in any config file.
kpsewhich just returns its location.

BTW, at the end of the installation the installer explains what
exactly has to be added to PATH, MANPATH, and INFOPATH.  If this is
overlooked things are getting inconvenient.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de