kpathsea SELFAUTOLOC is wrong

Ben Smith bensmithmath at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 02:11:09 CEST 2020

Reinhard,

echo $SELFAUTOLOC gives an empty line. There were no tex-related variables
defined when I ran env.

Vladimir, Here's the requested output:

[ben at tp4 ~]$ command -v pdflatex
/usr/bin/pdflatex
[ben at tp4 ~]$ command -v kpsewhich
/usr/bin/kpsewhich
[ben at tp4 ~]$ which pdflatex
/usr/bin/pdflatex
[ben at tp4 ~]$ which kpsewhich
/usr/bin/kpsewhich
[ben at tp4 ~]$ whereis pdflatex
pdflatex: /usr/bin/pdflatex
/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-linux/pdflatex
/usr/share/man/man1/pdflatex.1.gz
[ben at tp4 ~]$ whereis kpsewhich
kpsewhich: /usr/bin/kpsewhich
/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-linux/kpsewhich
/usr/share/man/man1/kpsewhich.1.gz
[ben at tp4 ~]$ env | grep -i tex
MANPATH=:/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/doc/man
INFOPATH=:/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/doc/info
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/ben/.emacs.d/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-linux

So I think your hunch is right! I have the arch texlive-bin package
installed in addition to the tug.org version. I just looked it up with
`pacman -Qi texlive-bin`, and it came as a dependency of xournalpp which I
installed before the tug.org version. Now, I just ran:

$ /usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-linux/latex small2e

and it looks like it worked. Then, I changed my PATH-setting command to:

export
PATH="/home/ben/.emacs.d/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH"

So that the previous $PATH is at the back instead of the front... and then
running just:

$latex small2e

worked just fine! I'm not sure if i should uninstall the texlive-bin
package or not. I don't want to break xournalpp which I use for work every
day.

Thanks,
Ben Smith