Issue on Running `tlmgr path add`

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Thu Sep 17 18:18:08 CEST 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 12:16:20AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Use of uninitialized value $broad_result in concatenation (.) or string at E:\Ti
> > nyTex\TinyTex\TinyTeX\texmf-dist\scripts\texlive\tlmgr.pl line 1511.
> > ret = >>0<<, broadcast result = >><<
>
> So that means that
> 	TeXLive::TLWinGoo::broadcast_env()
> does not return a proper return value. And indeed, reading the code it
> doesn't do any proper return value handling.
>
> Siep: anyting we can do here? Return 0|1 for failure|success or similar?
> Sorry, I simply cannot understand what is going on in this function with
> all the Windows stuff.
>
> If not, I will just drop the |= call.

The $SendMessage object is created early in TLWinGoo and then used
later on in broadcast_env.

I believe the only reasonable remedy in case of failure of creating
or using $SendMessage would be to recommend the user to re-login
after installation, to make the session aware of the registry
changes.  However, I never encountered this problem in my tests so I
have never done anything about it except just soldiering on in case
of failure.

--
Siep Kroonenberg