Creating a Chocolatey Package For TexLive

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 14:45:55 CEST 2020

so 12. 9. 2020 v 1:14 odesílatel Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de> napsal:

> On 2020-09-11 at 13:37:11 +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>  > The problem in TeX Live is that the programs are not written just
>  > in one programming language. I do not mind compiling someone else's
>  > programs but I do not have all tools installed so that I am not
>  > able to compile the whole TeX Live. I do not like to install tools
>  > just for TeX Live compilation if I do not use them for my work,
>  > thus I am happy that I can install precompiled binaries even in
>  > Linux.
>
> All programs you have to compile are written in C or C++ and there is
> no need to install any tools which don't exist already on your system.

Isn't TeX written in web? This would need tangle and pascal to C as well.

> If you can compile an abitrary program with
>
>   ./configure && make && make install

I am afraid it works neither in Linux nor in Windows. Linux can be
installed without C compilers, it happened to me in CentOS 8. Windows
do not have bash, GNU make, GNU C/C++, it has to be downloaded and
installed.

> you can compile TeX Live as well.  In order to compile Xindy more
> effort is required because you have to install a Common Lisp engine.

Yes, I do not have it hence I am not able to compile xindy,

> But I agree with you that the preferred way is to simply install TeX
> Live from
>
>   http://tug.org/texlive/

Preferably from mirrors.ctan.org because it finds a mirror located 3
kilometers from me and our institute is on the same backbone.

> I'm also convinced that most users don't need the latest stuff and the
> best they can do is to rely on the TeX Live version provided by their
> Linux distribution.

I agree. In addition, it is always possible that a package upgrade
will not be compatible with an older version, therefore I never
upgrade in a middle of an important project.

> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz