Creating a Chocolatey Package For TexLive

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Fri Sep 11 12:23:54 CEST 2020

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 03:03:26PM +0530, Naveen M K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > And yet another devil's
> > comment: you write that the maximum size of the package is 200 MB but
> > the size of texlive-full is approx. 8 GB. And if a small part is
> > udated, will the user have to upgrade texlive as such or incrementally
> > just the modified part?
>
> That 200MB limit is for amount of content inside the package included in it while we are free to download how much ever we want from the internet(CTAN).
>
> > Remember that TeX Live is a collection of
> > packages with a common infrastructure. If I upgrade my package as an
> > author and upload it to CTAN and then it goes to TeX Live. This means
> > that the individual packages have releases, the new infrastructure of
> > TeX Live is released once a year.
>
> The release can be changed once a month as it is done on Debian by @Norbert. He said in previous email that those are updated once a month or so.
>
> >  May I play Devil's Advocate and ask why you claim "it would be good to have a Chocolatey Package [for TeX Live]" ? What problems do you find with the present installer, and would you not agree that if the current installer is sub-optimal then the obvious alternative (as far as TeX Live for Microsoft Windows is concerned) would be to re-write the installer as an MSI ("Microsoft Installer") file, with all the benefits that that would bring, including, of course, full support for uninstalling (Start / Control Panel / Programs and Features / Uninstall or change a program) ?
>
> The main issue I face with the current installer is that it
> doesn't have an uninstaller. Creating an MSI would be nice and yes
> if it is done then creating the package would be as simple as
> installing that MSI.

There is an uninstaller: for a single-user install it is a TL menu
item and for an admin install TL shows up under Apps and can be
uninstalled from there. Both invoke
<tlroot>/tlpkg/installer/uninst.bat, which can be invoked from the
command-line if you wish.

Individual packages can be installed and uninstalled with tlmgr or
via the gui tlshell.

--
Siep Kroonenberg