Incompatibility between the fall 2020 LaTeX release and the packages xwatermark and catoptions

Matteo Gamboz gamboz at medialab.sissa.it
Thu Oct 15 17:28:14 CEST 2020

Hi,

I just want to report that the aforementioned packages stopped working
after the fall 2020 LaTeX update (between September 29th and October
14th), because they change internal LaTeX macros.

I've reported it to the LaTeX-project (see also MWE below)
https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/411
but it is probably a "distribution" problem, in the sense that maybe
these package should be marked in some way (to report a warning or
something).

I want to take the opportunity to thank all for the good work on the
tex-live distribution. I use it a lot on a lot of linux distros and
never had a problem.

I must also say that I was surprised to get a breaking change during an
in-release update :)

Compiling the MWE below gives error with texlive 2020 installed today,
but not with texlive 2020 installed around September 29th.

MWE:
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xwatermark}
\begin{document}