Packaging acrotex with TeX Live

Henri Menke henri at henrimenke.de
Mon Oct 12 17:36:42 CEST 2020

On 12/10/20, 11:41, Jim Diamond via tex-live wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:08 (+0200), Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
> > po 12. 10. 2020 v 9:56 odesílatel Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> napsal:

> >> Sure but the fact that the standard is open since quite some time
> >> means that the probability that only "nonfree viewers" supports  a
> >> feature requested by enough people is quite low. And as expected
> >> searching a bit gives lots of hits outside adobe.
>
> > Unfortunately this is not the case. The Linux version of Acrobat
> > Reader 9 depends on obsolete libraries, their support was discontinued
> > a few years ago and can no longer be installed.
>
> That is not true.  I recently got Acrobat reader 9.5.5 running on
> Slackware64-current (which is very up to date, unlike Slackware 14.2,
> the most recent "released" version of Slackware).  To get it running
> there I needed to install some 32-compatibility stuff (which, as I
> understand it, many 64-bit Linux distributions install by default),
> but that was about it.

Even if you can run Adobe Reader 9.5.5, you definitely shouldn't.  It
has tons of unfixed code execution vulnerabilities.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-53/product_id-497/version_id-124630/Adobe-Acrobat-Reader-9.5.html

It is also vulnerable to a whole class of information exfiltration
attacks.

https://www.pdf-insecurity.org/

Cheers, Henri