Packaging acrotex with TeX Live

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 00:31:27 CEST 2020

ne 11. 10. 2020 v 23:30 odesílatel George N. White III
<gnwiii at gmail.com> napsal:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 at 16:17, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ne 11. 10. 2020 v 20:54 odesílatel Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> napsal:

>> > Actually, hyperref allows creation of pdf forms
>> > I checked on our Linux server: indeed Okular can display forms but cannot fill them
>> > but evince can fill and save!
>

> There have been multiple forms implementations (Wikpedia). Some software lets you overlay text in form
> boxes, but some fillable forms are designed to stash entries in external files or apply javascript processing..
>
> In particular, Adobe XML Forms Architecture (XFA, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFA) is not
> compatible with ISO 32000's AcroForms feature, and most PDF processors do not handle XFA
> content. The XFA specification is referenced from ISO 32000-1/PDF 1.7 as an external proprietary
> specification, was deprecated in ISO 32000-2 (PDF 2.0).
>
> It would be nice to have an open source tool that tells you what forms implementation is used by
> a given PDF document.

I have tried the document and okular says:
This document has XFA forms, which are currently unsupported.

evince just says that I need a newer Acrobat Reader

gs says the same

libreoffice says the same

qpdfview-qt5 says the same with strange formatting (extremely wide font)

After googling a little I have downloaded, installed and tested Master
PDF Editor from https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/#get
It can fill in XFA forms and save the file. Tested in Fedora 32.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz