Packaging acrotex with TeX Live

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 23:30:16 CEST 2020

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 at 16:17, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> ne 11. 10. 2020 v 20:54 odesílatel Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> napsal:
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 1:14 PM Robert Alessi <alessi at robertalessi.net>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 01:07:21PM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> >> [...]
> which
> >>
> >> As in free beer I am afraid, not in free speech.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Robert Alessi
> >

> > Actually, hyperref allows creation of pdf forms
> > I checked on our Linux server: indeed Okular can display forms but
> cannot fill them
> > but evince can fill and save!

There have been multiple forms implementations (Wikpedia). Some software
lets you overlay text in form
boxes, but some fillable forms are designed to stash entries in
external files or apply javascript processing..

In particular, Adobe XML Forms Architecture
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_XML_Forms_Architecture> (XFA,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFA) is not
compatible with ISO 32000's AcroForms feature, and most PDF processors do
not handle XFA
content. The XFA specification is referenced from ISO 32000-1/PDF 1.7 as an
external proprietary
specification, was deprecated in ISO 32000-2 (PDF 2.0).

It would be nice to have an open source tool that tells you what forms
implementation is used by
a given PDF document.

--
George N. White III