texlive 2020 pdflatex waits for something

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 21:33:40 CEST 2020

so 3. 10. 2020 v 1:08 odesílatel David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> napsal:

> On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 20:10, Richard J. Mathar <mathar at mpia-hd.mpg.de> wrote:
>>
>> I've finally managed to uninstall texlive2017 of the openSUSE 15.2 standard  distro
>> to move on to texlive2020:
>> - ran a few hundert times the zypper rm  on the texlive packages
>> - removed /var/lib/texmf /etc/texmf /var/cache/texmf
>> - edited TEXMFHOME in ~/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
>>    so it is the same as in ~/texlive/2020/texmf.cnf
>>   (apparently install-tl only changes one of the two texmf.cnf
>>   but not the other...)
>> - removed also libtexlua52-5
>> - finally (that was the key point of removing the 2017-05-14 outputs of pdflatex)
>>   cd ~/.texlive2020 ; rm -rf *
>>
>> The only problem that remains (and that was actually the trigger to
>> replace texlive 2017 by texlive 2020)

I have TeX Live since 2007.

> You really only needed to set the PATH it is not necessary to uninstall an old tex live (I have texlives 2016 through to 2020 installed for example)
>

>> is that a file with a \tableofcontents,
>> book document and something like > 18 parts will only show the first
>> page of the table of contents in the .dvi or .pdf file (although the .toc
>> is complete with all parts). Apparently there are some optional page breaks missing
>> in the \tableofcontents handler. Example:
>

> The table of contents code here hasn't changed since latex2e was introduced in the 1990s so is unaffected by the update.

\tableofcontents does nothing special, it just prints the contents of
the toc file. If LaTeX locks in this command and displays just a part
of the table of contents, the most probable reason is that you have a
fragile macro in your \part, \chapter, \section etc. The macro is the
expanded on a wrong place which can cause an endless loop. Try to
shorten your document (you can put \end{document} to the middle of the
file, the rest will be ignored). Remove the .aux and .toc files and
try to compile the document. You will see where it fails. You can also
look to the aux file and toc file. If you see a strange garbage, you
will know that this it the place where a fragile macro gets expanded.
Having found the place you have to protect the fragile macro with
\protect. If you use the hyperref package, you can get a similar
problem when the outlines are generated. You may need \texorpdfstring.

> This is a tex coding issue not one for the texlive distribution so this is the wrong list, but book class prevents page breaks after the part level entry to ensure the following chapter and section entries fall on the same page as their part, but as you only have parts it fails.
>
> If it is just temporary while the document is in draft you could ignore it, the problem will go once the parts have real content, but if you do have parts with no containing chapters and sections you could replace
>
> \tableofcontents
>
> by
>
> {\let\nobreak\relax\tableofcontents}
>
> to allow page breaking between the entries.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz