texlive 2020 pdflatex waits for something

Richard J. Mathar mathar at mpia-hd.mpg.de
Thu Oct 1 18:23:38 CEST 2020

rjm> I have installed texlive 2020 with install-tl and
rjm> TEXHOME=~/texlive/2020
rjm>
rjm> printenv | fgrep TEX
rjm> TEXMFHOME=/home/mathar/texlive/2020
rjm>
rjm> and I am running pdflatex on the following file:
rjm>

Just ignore that message. There was the very backslash missing
in my final \end{document} line ... a classical syntax error....

The example showed 12 pages of output (for 6 parts) because
by default the book style starts each part on a new double
page... nothing to worry about and expected.

The LaTex2e <2017-04-15> may appear through some standard openSUSE
latex packages that are already installed (which is 2017), and
which I bypassed by putting the texlive/2020/bin.... in front
of everything of my PATH. Apparently I have to de-install also
the openSUSE 15.2 packages to avoid any interference.