Best practice to include non-tex documentation in a CTAN package

Louis spalax at gresille.org
Wed Nov 18 21:58:17 CET 2020

Hello,
one of my package [1] being a python program, its documentation is
written using Sphinx [2] (the de-facto standard for documentation of
Python programs). It consists of .rst files, which are
compiled by Sphinx into a HTML website, and in a .tex file which is
itself compiled into a pdf file.

[1] https://ctan.org/pkg/spix
[2] https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/

My CTAN package does contain the pdf documentation, but I have
been told that it should include the source files. Which files should I
include?

- the .rst files (and .png files), with a README to explain how to
compile them?

- the generated .tex file (and .png files)? Problem: it uses a bunch of
sphinx-specific packages which are part of the (python) sphinx package,
but are not packaged in CTAN, although they are free (BSD 3-clause).
Should I include them as well?

Regards,
Louis