Is there a libsynctex package shipped as a part of MacTex?

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Mon May 18 02:03:39 CEST 2020

Hi all,

On Mon, 18 May 2020, Johannes Hielscher wrote:
> You might have a look at how others solve packaging of libsynctex as a

Yes, that is easy within a distribution like Debian, but practically
impossible to do in TeX Live itself. Distributing shared libraries
across architectures and releases is only a pain.

I guess the best thing we **could** do is ship static libs (.a) for
libkpathsea and libsynctex, but then we probably need to do the same for
ptexenc, texlua libs, etc.

Not sure whether this would bring an improvement?

But yes, synctex is the most problematic since it changed (still
changes?) the format of the used files, so old projects using their own
embedded copy of synctex, which is the standard, will fail.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev