missing man path

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 13 03:24:20 CEST 2020

    /opt/texlive/2020/bin/man     # option 2

k> Ok, when last night's update makes it around there should be a symlink
k> bin/man.

I've been reminded once again by the recent report
(https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2020-May/045687.html) that we can't
have a symlink outside of the bin/* subdirectories, even in the bin/
directly ... It will get installed on Windows causing an error
message. Harmless, but not acceptable IMHO as normal behavior.

Attempting to somehow avoid the installation of bin/man on Windows,
e.g., through a tar exclude option or something, seems much too painful.

I'm back to believing we have to use bin/*/man if we want to support
that auto-finding feature of some man programs. Which seems reasonable,
so I've done that.

Johannes and any other packagers, I guess you'll have to go back to
excising the man link as a special case. Sorry. --best, karl.