Checksum verification failure for TeX Live 2019 on macOS

Erlend Graff erlend.graff at gmail.com
Thu May 7 16:25:59 CEST 2020

Hi,

I've noticed a lot of chatter on this mailing list lately about failed
signature verification for TeX Live 2020 due to expired GPG keys. This is
also
something that I have noticed on my CI systems, but my builds seem to be
green again now.

..except for one particular build, which is a bit peculiar - so I hope you
guys might help me shed some light on what is going wrong.

On my CI, I build my own LaTeX document class (not published to CTAN) with
different TeX distributions (TeX Live, MiKTeX, proTeXt), and do that for
both
the latest versions and historic versions on Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Right
now, all the builds are green, except for the one that tries to install
TeX Live 2019 (via MacTeX) on macOS. For this build, the installation script
looks something like this:

  wget
http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/mactex/2019/mactex-basictex-20191011.pkg
  sudo installer -verbose -pkg ./mactex-basictex-20191011.pkg -target /

  export PATH=/Library/TeX/Distributions/Programs/texbin:$PATH

  sudo tlmgr option repository
http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/2019/tlnet-final
  sudo -i tlmgr update --self --all

  sudo tlmgr install [various collections]

and it is failing with the following error:

  tlmgr: setting default package repository to
http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/2019/tlnet-final
  /Library/TeX/Distributions/Programs/texbin/tlmgr: unexpected return value
from verify_checksum: -5

I don't know if I'm doing something stupid when trying to point the TeX Live
that comes with MacTeX 2019 to the tlnet-final version of TeX Live 2019, or
if
something is actually wrong. Note that I do this for TeX Live 2018 and 2018
as
well, and there it works fine.

Best regards,
Erlend Graff