tlmgr — Package not present error messages

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Mar 16 22:00:37 CET 2020

Hi Brian,

            "tlmgr: graphicx mentioned, but neither new nor forcibly removed"
    even if graphics is not yet updated.

I added a second line of output after that seemingly mysterious message
with a hint to run tlmgr info or search. It doesn't seem right to have
tlmgr update do any searching itself.

    Since LaTeX packages are not necessarily the same as TexLive packages,

Right. I don't think it would serve users well to suggest
conflating them.

    if the program could tell you which package contains what you are
    looking for

Doesn't feel like a job for tlmgr update, but you can check with, e.g.:
tlmgr search /graphicx.sty
  Or
grep /graphicx.sty /.../texlive.tlpdb
if you prefer :). We intentionally keep texlive.tlpdb as a plain text
file precisely for ease of searching, etc. --thanks, karl.