uninstalling an old version

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Mar 15 04:34:33 CET 2020

On 2020-03-14 at 22:30:40 -0400, Bob Tennent wrote:

 > That's not my scenario. I asked the 2019 tlmgr to uninstall
 > TL-2019. I didn't ask it to remove existing symlinks to
 > TL-2020, much less create new ones.

There can only be ***one*** set of symlinks in /usr/local/bin.  They
either point to TL2019 ***or*** to TL2020.  If you remove them, none
of the distributions is accessible.  This is expected behavior.

As I said before, I vote for removing the "create symlinks" option
from the installer because it obviously creates more problems than it
solves.  When I asked Karl to keep this option I had unexperienced
users in mind but now I see that even experienced users run into
trouble.  I recognize now that my suggestion was wrong.

Simply follow the instructions the installer prints to screen and
avoid symlinks.  Evereything works as expected then.  You can have as
many TeX Live distributions as you want and each one is accessible if
you set PATH accordingly.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25