tl2020 pretest begin

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 14 03:06:03 CET 2020

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:33:31AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Paulo,
>
> Just one comment: there is nothing like the "correct encoding". Here in Japan we use daily at least two to three.
>
> So files that are in the encoding idea by those people mostly using the software are in the correct encoding, even if it is not utf8.
>
> Best
>
> Norbert
>
> On March 14, 2020 10:09:02 AM GMT+09:00, Paulo Ney de Souza <pauloney at gmail.com> wrote:
> >TeXLive does change a LOT of people's projects and files - to the better I
> >can easily see, but this is not what I am proposing. What I would like to
> >see is a set of standards -- which already exists -- like self-relocating,
> >etc ...
> >
> >If you saw something wrong in a program -- you would change it -- and
> >possibly feed it back to the owner. In the same way documentation (and
> >non-doc) files like:
> >
> >2) Je mo¾né pøímo pou¾ít pøipravený program vlna.exe.
> >3) S vhodným pøekladaèem a pøi tro¹e ¹tìstí lze té¾ kompilovat program

I hesitate to reply to this, partly because I'm still on 2019,
partly because most people on this list understand things which I
don't, and partly because I've no idea how Paulo is looking at these
files which do look to be borken.

I'm well aware that running 'file' (and even diff, if it decides
that the first few hundred lines are 8859-1 or ASCII, e.g. when
diffing firefox versions, can produce rubbish), so a couple of
questions :

For Paulo - how are you looking at these files to see this rubbish ?

For anyone, perhaps after Paulo has responded - is there a
"recommended" way to look at the files, so that the desired encoding
will be obeyed ?  And if so, do the files need some markings to say
"use this encoding" ?  When unicode works (and I think I somewhat
understand Norbert's comment about what people use in Japan) it is
at least semi-legible (although in Han probably at least ugly, and
maybe not really legible) whereas the examples above are just
garbage.

Clearly, any change needs to be on a per-package basis, but is there
actually an approach to changing them which will work ?

ĸen
--
#define THE_TRUTH_AND_THATS_CUTTIN_ME_OWN_THROAT true
            Al Viro, complaining about a 'TRUE' macro in staging