xdvipdfmx-20200116 : additional q/Q bracket around BT...ET

Shunsaku Hirata shunsaku.hirata74 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 00:32:38 CET 2020

Hi,

> > Anyway you have already reverted my change thus I guess you are
> > going to commit your change.
>
> Not really; the reason why I reverted your change on 2019-06-30 is
> that adding q-Q bracket would break many existing TeX files in which
> \special commands had been carefully constructed to work fine with
> TL2019 xdvipdfmx.  I just didn't like such a change in xdvipdfmx
> between TL2019 and TL2020.

Currently known problem is only clipping and I don't understand how
so many TeX files could reply on such feature.

I understand efforts made. But I can't tell how careful it is if they were
constructed upon a carelessly constructed foundation.

> Therefore, I don't want to re-commit your previous change of adding
> q-Q bracket.  On the other hand, I'd like to follow your decision
> on whether you accept my "0 Tr" patch or not.

I don't understand why you are going to follow my decision for the
patch prepared by yourself while the decision to reject my previous
change was made by yourself alone.

If you just want suggestions on the correctness of the patch: There
are two kind of text. Normal and embolden. For normal text, current
mode setting should be used. For embolded text, mode "2" is used.
This patch introduces another bug that modes 1, 2, and 3 don't work
too when embolen text is used before.

Finally, regarding the following commend by myself:

  OK, we should warn everyone not to use fake-bold (embolden text)
  together with the ocgx2 package.

This was not a sugestion actually. Sorry for consusion.

After incorporating the provided patch, even single embolden letter
newly inserted in the footnote of page 16 would cause a drastic
change in the rendering of page 345 where Tr is used.
You may still say it is often the case in TeX output though.

Thanks,
Shunsaku Hirata