[EXT] Re: [EXT] TeXLive 2020 pre-test item: MalwareBytes (Windows) flags behavior of installation BAT file

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sat Mar 7 22:29:27 CET 2020

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 08:25:58PM +0000, Philip Taylor wrote:
> Philip Taylor wrote:
>
> > I also use Malwarebytes Premium. Bill, under Windows 7, ^4-bit,
> > Enterprise.  I am downloading the TeX Live 2020 pre-test files as I
> > write, and will report back once I have attempted an installation.
>
> I have now (seemingly successfully) mirrored the Netherlands TeX Live 2020
> pre-test repository, but I was confused when I sought to find out how to
> proceed.  The instructions read (in part) :
>

> >       Installing
> >
> > After downloading as above, you can run the script
> > [...]install-tl-windows.bat (Windows) to perform the installation. We
> > just use install-tl as the command name in these examples:
> >
> >   * install-tl -repository /location/ -gui
> >     is the default on Windows and Macs. It runs a Tcl/Tk-based GUI if
> >     Tcl/Tk is available, simple at startup but with a button to invoke
> >     the advanced interface. If Tcl/Tk is not available, tries the
> >     Perl/Tk GUI; if that's not available either, falls back to text
> >     mode. TeX Live includes a Tcl/Tk runtime for Windows, and Tcl/Tk
> >     is a standard part of current Mac systems.
> >

> What does it mean that "install-tl -repository /location/ -gui" /*is the
> default */on Windows ?  It is the default if I do what ?  Not knowing how to
> invoke the default behaviour, I typed in full :
>
> C:\TeX\Live\2020\Local\Repository : install-tl-windows.bat -repository /.
> /-gui
>
> What /should/ I have typed in order to obtain the default behaviour ?
> /Philip Taylor/

On Windows and MacOS, -gui is the default, on other platforms the
text mode interface is the default.

If you have a full rsync copy of the repository then there is no
need for a -repository parameter either.

So, _in your case_ you can just type

  install-tl-windows.bat

Better specify the .bat extension explicitly, because you do not
want to use the .exe. But I can see that the phrasing is a bit
confusing.

--
Siep Kroonenberg