(darwin-legacy pretest) about 5% slow-down of \edef in etex

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sat Mar 7 12:38:02 CET 2020

> first with :
>
> $ ../configure --disable-all-pkgs --enable-pdftex -C >&outc
>
> later with
>
> $ ../configure --disable-all-pkgs --enable-pdftex -C CFLAGS=-Os CXXFLAGS=-Os >&outc
>
> but do I get that right?
>
> After copying the binary to suitable location and rebuilding pdftex.fmt and etex.fmt
> timing of the test file originating this thread gives
>
> real	0m2.306s
> user	0m2.289s
> sys	0m0.014s

Sorry about misleading info. After configure I probably had forgotten one step
or was working with a dirty Work repertory.

Anyway, I did it again with "-Os"
and the produced binary now gives timings very much in line with your
binary from pretest, i.e. on this same test

real	0m1.700s
user	0m1.684s
sys	0m0.013s

typically

In comparison, the "-O2" binary produces this kind of timing

real	0m1.525s
user	0m1.509s
sys	0m0.013s

size of binaries

Y lrwxr-xr-x   1 foo  bar        9  7 mar 12:36 pdftex -> pdftex_o2
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 foo  bar  2717724  7 mar 11:26 pdftex_o2
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 foo  bar  2221296  7 mar 12:31 pdftex_os

regards,

Jean-François