xdvipdfmx-20200116 : additional q/Q bracket around BT...ET

Hironobu Yamashita h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 04:50:35 CET 2020

Hi Shunsaku,

> > SH> Whenever internal behavior of dvipdfmx is changed
> > SH> the reslts can be quite different.
>
> What I meant here was that the fundamental problem is the results of
> pdf:code depends on the internal behavior and requires presumption
> on it to always work as intented. It is not the matter of which internal
> behavior is suited for some typical situations.

I see.

> > * On the other hand, I'd like to avoid unwanted fake-bold.
> >   To achieve this, it is enough to add "0 Tr" only after fake-bold
> >   ends, and is considered the smallest change needed to the
> >   internal behavior.
>
> You can't know what text rendering mode was before. Forcing it to "0"
> is not a proper solution at all. From this perspective I had decided to
> enclose text block with the q-Q bracket. (plus isolating the effects of
> graphics state changes done there by adding the q-Q bracket is more
> safer operation)
>

> Anyway you have already reverted my change thus I guess you are
> going to commit your change.

Not really; the reason why I reverted your change on 2019-06-30 is
that adding q-Q bracket would break many existing TeX files in which
\special commands had been carefully constructed to work fine with
TL2019 xdvipdfmx.  I just didn't like such a change in xdvipdfmx
between TL2019 and TL2020.

Therefore, I don't want to re-commit your previous change of adding
q-Q bracket.  On the other hand, I'd like to follow your decision
on whether you accept my "0 Tr" patch or not.

Hironobu